Subject: Resolute Bay Airport Water License
From: "Roberts, David" <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]'" <[email-masked]>, "Mulhern, Bob" <[email-masked]>, "Elsayed, Sameh" <[email-masked]>
Cc: "Hawkins, John" <[email-masked]>, "Toonoo, Timoon" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2003 15:22:02 -0400

Dionne  
Senior Technical Advisor, Nunavut Water Board
 
Re: Resolute Bay Airport Water License
 
The only item standing in the way of issuing the water license for the
Resolute Bay Airport seems to be the existing condition of the site sewage
lagoon as described in the inspection done last year by DIAND. That
inspection noted deficiencies.
 
Later last summer the walls of the lagoon were rebuilt in an attempt to
rectify this situation.  However this spring the lagoon is again overflowing
the primary walls in some sections.  This is in part due to a record amount
of rainfall late in the summer, and partly due to freeze up of sections of
the utilidor serving the Hamlet of Resolute Bay.  The utilidor problem has
resulted in the Health Centre sewage being added into the lagoon as well as
the RCMP office waste.  These two factors have combined to negate the
improvements made last year.
 
Since there is only one lagoon serving both the Hamlet and the Airport we
cannot shut it down.
 
The solution I propose at this time has three phases:
    1. Cut into the existing Hamlet utilidor sewage line and install a
standpipe with a three inch coupling so that the sewage can be introduced
into the existing line allowing the lagoon to reduce levels naturally.
    2. Rebuild the edges of the lagoon this summer after calculation of the
required capacity.
    3. Build a new sewage lagoon if on inspection the existing lagoon is
found to have passed its useful lifespan.
 
If this meets the Water Board requirements I request that the license be
issued with the proviso that we follow this plan and report back within 90
days on our progress.  I will require the Water Board approval to justify
the standpipe requirement so my department can go ahead with modification of
the existing utilidor.
Thanks
David 

David W. Roberts 
Regional Airport Manager/North 
Government of Nunavut 
P.O. Box 30 
Resolute, NU X0A 0V0

Tel: 867-252-3923 Fax: 867-252-3684